Sandhill Farm Airfield Information (PPR)
- Category: Uncategorised
- Published: Sunday, 20 September 2020 15:32
- Written by Super User
- Hits: 731
Sandhill Farm is a Prior Permission Required Airfield (PPR)
Opening Hours (Local):
Aircraft should remain outside of RAF Fairford MATZ unless in good two-way communication with Brize Zone on 119.000.
RAF Fairford MATZis located 2.5nm north of the airfield. Aircraft are to remain clear unless in good two-way communications with Brize Zone on 119.000.
It is suggested that downwind leg for Rwy 22 and Rwy 04 should be no further North than the Highworth village situated 2nm North of the airfield.
Noise Sensitive Areas
Due to the close proximity of residential areas it is essential for the airfield to operate in a considerate manner. Please observe the noise sensitive areas as much as reasonably possible to help us maintain our good neighbourly relationship.
Rwy 22/04 – This is our main run for take off and landings. It’s a well mown strip with blue edge markers at the start of both ends.
Rwy 22 – Landing, trees at the threshold means a deeper landing is required.
Rwy 04 – Departure, trees at the end may require you to turn at low altitude to avoid depending upon aircraft performance.
Rwy 25/07 – Primarily used for model flying, only available if briefed beforehand.
Sandhill Farm Airfield is an active gliding site, operating motorised-gliders and pure gliders launched by tow plane.
All circuits to be flown to the North (Rwy 22 right-hand, Rwy 04 left-hand).
Do’s & Don’ts
To keep the local residents and airfield users happy, please follow the following guidelines:
- NO take-off or landings on Rwy 25/07 (see Model Aircraft section below).
- No overhead joins
- No flying south of the airfield boundary below 2000ft (the landlord lives next door!)
- All circuits to the North (Rwy 22 right-hand, Rwy 04 left-hand).
- Wind turbines are located to the 1nm East of the airfield. These can be overflown but not below 500ft.
- Caution, model flying on the northern edge of the airfield on Rwy 25.
Swindon Model Flying Club operates from Sandhill Farm, they are an active club and fly most days.
- NO take-off or landings on Rwy 25/07
- When operational there’s a flashing orange beacon on the windsock.
- Model Flying takes place on Rwy 25 (consider this closed unless briefed otherwise).